Website, Domain and Database Management

Being Part II of WordPress Woes Solved: the finding of DotNetPanel seemed to mean going to their website and downloading the software. I did that, but to no avail. It turned out that I didn’t need to do a thing. eUKhost had given me a URL I was supposed to use. It was in the form of a raw IP address, so I hadn’t recognised it. Simply plugging it into a Web browser and entering the supplied username and password got me got me to my website manager.

Result. Now I could set up as a website, install WordPress in the root, ensure that index.php ran and something should have happened. Something did, enough to tell me what I already knew: my wp-config.php wasn’t pointing to the correct database. I hadn’t even uploaded it yet, for which I needed phpMyAdmin. Where was that?

That I did have to install and finally my database… didn’t upload. At 8Mb it was too big. Why was it 8Mb? I’d always wondered but now there was motivation to dig deeper. I dug, in the Google sense of the word, and discovered that WordPress keeps every revision to every post and since I’m a great one for saving drafts as I compose, my database had pounds of fat. I shed some of it with this little nugget of SQL: DELETE FROM wp_posts WHERE post_type = "revision"; and incidentally if you want to keep the pounds off, insert define(‘WP_POST_REVISIONS’, false); into your config.php.

Talking of which, I made its final edits so that it would point to my still unloaded database. Still unloaded because even its slimline 3Mb was too big. Eventually the good people of eUKhost loaded it for me. Grand.

I was rather hoping that I would now get some vanilla version of my blog but it didn’t quite work like that either…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

23,743 Spambots Blocked by Simple Comments